Saturday, December 8, 2007

Home-made

Alyssa, Steve and, Judy are all of Guatemala picking up Katie... But it hasn't been a simple process. I'll give you the quick run down: They get the the airport and realize that they had the wrong time- they miss their first flight, They get booked for the next flight and have to hustle to the terminal, they get basically strip searched in security (since they technically bought their tickets "same-day"), Alyssa gets done first and get to the plane and tells them to wait then Steve gets there and they get on the plane, Alyssa looks back at the airport and the skybridge is gone- Judy's still not there (They freak), Alyssa's cell is with Judy so they can't call her, they manage to convince the pilot to wait a few mins so Judy can be ferried over. And that's not even the worst part they forgot a majorly important check for the attorneys at home. So it needs to be sent, but because Fedex and DHL won't do it, because they can't insure cash, and it's gonna cost around $1000 to Western Union it (It'd be cheaper to fly down). Oh and did I mention they're down at the Tikal ruins and cannot be reached until monday, and they need the check by tuesday morning.
Anyone planning a trip to Guatemala soon?
On a similar note, Jake stayed the night last night. I have a very easy time getting along with little girls, but I've never been really good with boys. I guess I just don't know the kinds of stuff they like, I asked Jake if he eats bugs.. he said no. Anyway so I spent all last night and this morning trying to bond with him, I don't think I was successful- by noon he was bored out of his mind. So I gave up, he was being picked up in a few hours anyway. So (being snowed in again) I started cooking, I make bread in the bread machine and was about to make a soup for dinner when Jake wandered in. I explained what I was doing (chopping onions, potatoes, and cooking the meat) and he was completely into it! He wanted to help with everything! He helped me peel potaotes, measured and put the spices in, made juice, and when we were all done he looked at me and said, "What are we gonna cook now?". I just smiled and said "Anything you want". We decided on cookies that he could take home with him and share with his brothers and sisters. It was great to finally get through to him and to know for at least an hour (lol) he actually had fun.

(I lost my iphoto when I switched to Leopard so I can't make the picture right side up...sorry)

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Yeah- I had a moment of freaking out when Alyssa called to say she couldn't get in touch with her Mom and the plane was leaving! I called Judy and she said they weren't letting her on the plane - YIKES, but while I was still on the phone, she did manage to get on. And Judy called me a couple of minutes later to just assure me that it was alright.

Judy Huntzinger said...

Great Blog but you forgot the lost luggage for 3 days. Wouldn't have been so bad except we hiked the jungle in dress shoes ;0) We got them back when we got to Guatemala City. Glad about you hair, 2 days in bed?? Hope you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

are you serious! I had no idea all that happened! Ahhh. IS it all ok Now.

Love bit about the cooking and Jake.
Are we going to the ZOO?