Fast Sunday is my favorite sunday of the month, and today I remembered why. If you've heard about our ward you'd know it's not your "typical" Utah ward. Not only is it an inner-city ward, but we've had a very large influx of African refugees and Asian immigrants. Micah and I teach 7-8 year olds, having kids from all different backgrounds and speaking different languages makes for interesting happenings. Anyway so today during sacrament, 2 young African sisters got up to bear their testimonies. The first was about 9, her name is Muriel and while she speaks good english she had a very thick Swahilian accent, she talked about how she had never bourn her testimony but just felt like she wanted to. She spoke about how she 'came here (America)' she didn't think anyone would like her or care about her, but when she comes to church people care and treat her like she's special. The second girl was Nadine who is about 4 or 5, all she said was "I have a family". Then together they sang "I'm trying to be like Jesus". It's so amazing to watch these children, I know that all kids can be sweet, but there's something about our primary that just makes my heart swell. Most of them are so kind and greatful for everything, they get excited about small and simple things. When we first were called to be teachers I was worried, to the naked eye we have a very 'homely' primary. But I'll tell you what.... I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
On that note a while back Alyssa gave me this bookmark, I love it. This is what it says:
Nurturing-Every women's gift...having their hearts knit together in unity and love one towards another. (Mosiah 18:21)
~Speak with a gentle voice
~Verbally express love for a family member or friend-do it again!
~Forgive someone who has hurt your heart- even if they haven't apologized
~Daily listen, really listen-look into their eyes while they talk
~Always be home when your children are coming or going
~Pray with your family-let them feel your faith and love for God
~Do your Visiting Teaching the was the Savior would
~Read scriptures with a child
~Write Missionaries in the ward
~Make forever memories with your family-take lots of pictures
~Truly love your family-look for the good-look for ways to serve each other
~Leave notes of appreciation and love for family members.
~Smile at your spouse or child who knows they've caused frustration or heart ache.
I can't wait till we have kids of our own, but for now we'll continue to borrow them...
3 comments:
What a cool story. Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for posting that. I now have the stuff from that bookmark on my fridge to look at every day. Now if I could just DO all of those things consistently!
That is a great story about Testimony meeting. We just can't know the suffering of others can we...? I have a family... Great thoughts
By the way you are a great writer. Love the words you choose.
Post a Comment