Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Independence Day in DC

For as long as I can remember the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. It wasn't that we did anything particularly special, I just loved my whole family getting together, BBQ, card games, and of course the fireworks. Micah actually proposed to be on the 2nd of July while we watched the 'Stadium of Fire' firework show in Provo.
This year we (we being Micah and I, Jared and Matt Rich, and Baden with his fiance Robin) decided to head up to DC for the big show, what better place to celebrate the birth of our nation than the capitol? We caught the Metro in Springfield, rode it to Foggy Bottom then walked to Georgetown. We spent a couple of hours window shopping, actual shopping, and trying to decide where to eat lunch. 

We found a street vendor giving away free M&M ice cream, Jared was really enjoying his...
After lunch we started to long trek back to the Mall, where we were planning on setting up camp to watch the fireworks. We had some blankets to sit on and passed the time (we had about 2 hours to wait till it got dark) by playing indian poker

This is how Micah entertained himself
There was ALOT of people there.
It had been overcast all day, at first we were very happy about this because it ment that the sun wasn't giving us sunburns quite as fast. That was until it started raining, at first it was just a little sprinkle which turned pretty much into a downpour. Jared, Micah, Matt, and I ran to hide under the nearest tree while Baden and Robin walked to Union Station to keep dry.
By this time we were soaking wet and cold. 
Luckily it dried up enough that we could leave the shelter of the tree, and enjoy the show. I took a small video, but apparently blogspot doesn't think I should post it... so maybe later. It was a beautiful display, made better by the silhouette of the Washington monument.
Afterward, we walked around the gardens until the crowd thinned out some, then it was the long ride back home. Traffic wasn't bad but we were so tired!
All and all it was fun, will we go back next year.... we'll see.

2 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

aagh, we were waiting for this post. As it started to rain we figured you might be getting more than we did. How about this everyday rain? Wish we could sell it to California for their wildfires.... Lord must know best.

Collings Family said...

I'm so glad you got to do that! John and I had a fun time a few years back doing the D.C. fireworks, but I sure was sore from all of the walking and standing! I swear, I have to quit reading your blog because it makes me so dang homesick.