Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tdap

Tdap stands for tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis. Tdap is a vaccine... that freakin hurts
Guess what I had done today!
This morning I went to the doctors and had a phyical done, funny enough I think this was the first time I've ever been the the doctor when I wasn't sick. After a long long wait in the doctor room (sitting uncomfortably in a paper robe), Doc Smith (who was so very kind) finally comes in to tell me that: I have a suprisingly high red blood cell count, my cholesterol is low, and I show no risk for heart disease. In fact (says doctor Smith) the only thing I should be worried about/at risk for (according to my age group) is accidents. You know car accidents and that I should be careful who I accept rides from....
Anyway towards the end of the session he casually asks me when I had my last tetanus shot, to which I reply "hmmm....never?" (this is where you imagine him shooting me a raised eyebrow) My mom wasn't big on vaccinations.
Long story short I got a tetanus shot. "I heard getting you tetanus shot hurts" I say, "Who told you that?" said the nurse with a chuckle. She then shoves the needle into my arm (tetanus shots have to go into the muscle), as I let out a startled OUCH! She just laughs and laughs. As I'm complaining to Micah on the way home from work he says "You know normal people get all kinds of vaccinations". I guess thats true. I guess that just makes me a whiner :(

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Savannah would agree with you! She had to get like 6 boosters for junior high this year. So are you going to go for the rest of the vaccinations now or be done?

Laura said...

Tetanus hurts! I've had probably every vaccination there is to have, what with living in Argentina for years, and I remember tetanus as the most painful one. My arm ached for days! Sorry!

Stephny said...

The doctor recommended that I get the MMR booster, but I have to wait a bit for that one. Other than that he said that unless I plan on doing some traveling, I should be fine.

Alyssa said...

Sounds miserable! Vaccinations, yes, but laughing nurses!?!? No!!! I am glad to hear you are healthy.

Unknown said...

No kiddin. Greg and I just got our tetanus shots too. Did you know you have to do a physical, including blood tests, for adoption stuff. Was news to me. The good news though is that you don't need to get another Tdap for another 10 years =)

Marie said...

I cried when I got my last tetanus so I don't think you're a whiner at all! I wouldn't get the MMR unless you have to. My arm turned purple and had some odd swelling when I got mine. Apparently the nurse knicked a vein...