Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shouldn't I be more smarter now?

Because I have wisdom teeth... or at least wisdom tooth...
(Aren't they weird looking)
As I was flossing earlier tonight, I felt a strange hard thing in the back of my mouth. When I can't pry it out with my fingernail I head to the bathroom for a closer look. Much to my dismay I see a little toothy part smiling back at me. Next step was hauling Micah in for a closer look, as I stand there in front of the mirror pulling my cheeks back until I look creepy he confirms with  an affirmative nod and a "Oh crap". 
My Dad only had 2 bottom wisdom teeth, which he had pulled before his mission. My mom has hypodontia which is a fancy way to say that she doesn't have all of the teeth that she should... she doesn't have her top 2 canine teeth as well as no wisdom teeth at all.  I hoped between the two of them I wouldn't have to worry, besides I'm 22 I thought these little white buggers would've shown up long before now. 
So we're not really sure what to do, the research I've done online suggests that it costs around $2000 for all four to be pulled (I don't know if I have all four). I guess I just need to get dental insurance, goodness knows I need it! I have a calcium deficiency, which make my tooth enamel very soft... no matter how much I brush... I get cavities. My last dentist told me "I know you take care of your teeth, because you have good gums... but your teeth just suck" (Did you know that you can have fillings in your front teeth?). My last checkup I had 12 cavities, 12!  And 2 chipped teeth! R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S 

On a seperate note, it was a beautiful day today! Finally the rain stopped!

4 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

A girl from Washington state commenting on Virginia RAIN? Ummmm. So sorry to hear about the teeth, yet another reason to go and work for a dentist...ish type person.

Charlotte said...

Look for a research company. They will pull your wisdom teeth for free (and sometimes give you additional payment) if you participate in their pain medication study. Why did you guys have to move? I could have you in at Jean Brown to have it done in no time! But seriously... I'm sure there are tons of research companies there. And if you get the "placebo," you only have to be in pain for about 30 minutes before they let you "rescue" with real meds.

Tyler H said...

They might not be a problem at all.
Dental insurance is usually about as good a deal as a home warranty or one of those extended warranties from an electronics store.
Have you tried one of the heavy duty fluoride rinses from a dentist?

Stephny said...

Charlotte- I'v been thinking about that... I wonder how you find places like that? I have a friend who did a study and it worked really well for her.
Tyler- I've seriously tried everything. All the dentists I talk to just say to keep brushing and flossing, because it can always get worse.